BEETROOT KOLA URUNDAI | Snacks
The food of the Chettinad region of Tamilnadu is so versatile. They are the masters of cooking vegetarian dishes that mimic meat. In Tamilnadu, meat is not consumed during many festive months. So dishes like these are cooked by the women folks to satiate the meat-loving people in their household. Kola Urundai is traditionally made with mutton. This pure vegetable version has Beetroots mixed with fragrant spices. Fennel Seeds gives this dish a very very nice flavour. Here is an easy recipe on how to prepare these mouth-watering Urundai's!
Beetroot - 3 no.'s grated
Coconut - 1 cup grated
Oil - 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp.
Poppy seeds - 1/2 Tsp.
A few Cashew nuts
Chana Dal - 3 Tsp.
Green chilli - 1 no.
Cinnamon - 1 no.
Cloves - 4 no.'s
Cardamom pods - 4 no.'s
Fennel seeds - 1/4 Tsp.
Oil for Deep Frying
1. Dry roast the Cinnamon, Cloves, Fennel seeds, Cardamom seeds, Poppy seeds, Cashew nuts, Chana Dal, Coconut and Green chilli. Slightly toast the ingredients and then turn off the stove.
2. Grind the mixture into a fine powder. Do not add any water.
3. Heat oil in a kadai & saute the Beetroot for about 5 minutes.
4. Halfway through add, salt & mix it in.
5. Now add the powdered masala & mix well till it binds together.
6. Let the mixture cools down.
7. Roll it into small balls.
8. Now, heat some oil in a wide pan for deep frying.
9. Gently drop the balls into the hot oil.
10. Fry on a medium-low flame until they are brown in colour.
11. Once it turns brown in colour, remove the Beetroot Kola Urundai's from the pan and strain the excess oil.
12. Beetroot Kola Urundai's are ready to be served. Serve hot!
Visit our website – http://www.21frames.in/homecooking
Follow us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/HomeCookingShow
Follow us on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/homecookingshow/
Follow us on Twitter – https://twitter.com/VentunoCooking
Subscribe to us on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/VentunoHomeCooking
A Ventuno Production : http://www.ventunotech.com